Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Weather & Java

Ain't nothing like me some home-ground coffee in the mo'nin'! But as I'm reading my friend Dr. Mike's blog, it made me think about how our expectations of coffee have been lowered by the automatic drip machines. As Mike was remembering HIS grandpa, it made me think of mine - and the taste of coffee from his perculator. The sound it made was loud, kind of a struggling sound like an old man lifting something heavy, but it had the Pavlov's dog effect that an alarm clock cannot duplicate. Coffee in a perculator took a long time to make... and occasionally you'd find some grounds in the bottom of your cup... but wow. It was MUCH better than what passes for coffee today from a drip machine. Neat memory.

I'd like to open a shop that sells coffee from a perculator. I'll bet I could make money.

The wind is howling outside right now, it sounds like freakin' Antarctica. I just looked at the forecast and it is still decidedly winter. Highs in the low 40s, cloudy. Chance of rain or snow. And to think I was considering opening my pool in 2 weeks. Something tells me I should wait a month. It's heated, but I'm not sure anyone would use it yet... a trip out there in this weather would produce shrinkage I'm not willing to experience.

I hate this shit. I need a backyard with a beach. And I won't find it in St. Louis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, what you do is build a campfire in your backyard, boil up a big pot of water, throw in a handful of coffee, some eggshells (for bulk) and some canned milk. Now you got COFFEE!

Anonymous said...

OK Dave, you're on. Give me four to six weeks and I'll find you a place with a beach in the backyard. (Or VERY close by.)