Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Sideways

Last night, Tawnya and I went to a late dinner and caught the movie "Sideways." Showtime was 10:15 pm at a new theater on a Tuesday night, so there was only one other couple in the place with us, and they came in late.
Too bad, I had hoped to recreate the famous line from Alanis Morrissette's song "You Oughtta Know." If you aren't familiar, you're probably better off.

The movie was great. It had an independent film feel to it, although it is distributed by FoxSearchlight, or something like that. It's a story of two middle-aged men, former college roommates, who go on a tour of California wine country as a last hurrah before one of them gets married. All that guy wants to do is get laid one more time, and the other guy is mired in a depression from underperformance as an aspiring author, school teacher and husband. (he's been divorced two years, but still pines for his wife - who he discovers has remarried)

On the surface, it sounds like an exercise in extremes between two very different personality types. It is. But the author found a way to mix and mingle the parts in a VERY cool way. The guys are my age, so it was instantly relatable to me - but the magic of this film is, I believe everyone can find a part of them in it. Dark, but never too dark. Melancholy in parts, insanely funny in others. Shit, I'm starting to sound like Gene Siskel. If he were alive.

Tawnya didn't care for the way it ended, but I loved it. It left you to imagine your own ending, which is one of my favorite tactics in writing. And, as a wine lover, it gave me a new level of appreciation for the subtlties of the art of vino. One scene made me want to go straight home and open my best bottle.

Okay, the best I have comes in a box, but wine is wine, right?

No comments: