Monday, September 26, 2005

Weekend wrap up (revised, updated, and now with pictures)

Occasionally you have a weekend that, without planning or big spending, turns out to be a gem. Sometimes it doesn't involve hallucinogens, either.

I had lunch with my buddy Tim on Friday. During the conversation we began talking about the Lake of the Ozarks, which is a resort/vacation lake in Central Missouri. It's a great place... both Tim and I lived and worked there in the late 1980's/early 90's.

We decided we needed to pack a cooler and bags and get there. It's about 2.5 hours from St. Louis so by 9 pm we were checked into the a swank hotel and eating a steak. Later we closed a couple of bars, and by 2 am I had removed my liver, wringed it out and replaced it. I pretty much crashed.

Thanks to the sonofabitch who kept slamming the door in the next room, we got up at 7-ish and grabbed breakfast, then filled the cooler and headed out on Tim's brother's boat, a sweet 32 foot Sea Ray. It was fairly quiet on the water since it's the off season, (see pic of view over the bow) so it was an easy ride around the main part of the lake. We hit party cove, which was only moderately full compared to normal. We took a swim and I had approximately one shitload of gin & tonics (I wasn't driving the boat) then we headed back to shore to figure out what was for dinner. I ended up having surf & turf at a place called Horny Toad's, then watching a jazz band in the hotel bar until about 1 in the morning.

Major highlights of the weekend:

- Denny's waitress with hair on fire. (not really, but liquor made it appear that way)
- Near constant references to beastiality with sheep.
- A dialogue about what will happen when Bagnell dam breaks. (and I'm fairly certain it will)
- The 60 year old woman at Party Cove who insisting on showing us her "rock-in-a-sock" breasts.
- Ensuing conversation/debate about which of us would do her first if we were 20 years older.
- Fist fight with locals about who has more back hair.
- Settling the argument by having a group "back shave."
- Paying 65 dollars for a goddamn steak and lobster because I failed to ask (and the waiter failed to say) what the "market price" was for today.
- Using that excuse to activate the "low tip" rule.
- Setting a new record for ounces of Tanqueray consumed in a 48 hour period.
- Setting a new record for number of Advil consumed in a 48 hour period.

Ah, it's those "by surprise" weekends that make it all worth while. I am already planning the next trip.

12 comments:

Chris Cope said...

Nothing makes me happier than when Blogger sucks ass. Who needs reliable service?

... said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend and spontaneous to boot....

Blogger's status page states that they are having problems with pictures today....maybe my predictions jinxed them.

I think they do okay for a free service...a few hiccups are okay, considering I pay for all my Microsoft software and it hiccups all the time.

Rob Seifert said...

Congrats on a great weekend Dave! I look forward to the pix. Perhaps I'll have steak for lunch...

RCS

Spinning Girl said...

Ohhhh, you had the best time! I'm so glad. Sounds heavenly!!!
I like rocks.
I like socks.

Lee Ann said...

Sounds awesome! I need one of those great surprise weekends desperately. Sooooooooo jealous right now!
:)

Anonymous said...

I love those spur of the moment road trips. I am so jealous!

Ken Dillon said...

Wow! And here I am, supposedly a "big-wig" of sorts in the radio industry, too, and with my girlfriend out of town for the weekend, I ate Doritos and Monterey Jack Queso, watched NASCAR and some football, and napped incessantly. Dave knows how to LIVE!

Amandarama said...

Looks like entirely more fun than I had this weekend.

Mmmm...tequila...

Spinning Girl said...

Those pictures make me wish I had a friend with a boat.

Anonymous said...

Sweet-ass weekend, Dave. Glad to read you had it.

Weary Hag said...

This is the first time I've felt priveleged to have come here late. Great pictures and fun story about your impromptu weekend.
(does it bother you a little that you have readers with names like weary hag and used hack? just wondering)

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Ah, life's simply $65 pleasures.

How could they possibly get MORE boats in there? Do boaters have tailgate/backwash parties? Have you apologized to your liver/kidneys? Have many times have you done voiceovers while drunk? You ARE still drunk, aren't you? Don't answer any of these questions. They are all intended to be insults.