Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Celebrity

Celebrity isn't what it used to be.

Today's most famous stars are relatively unknown to most people. Who will be our next Elvis, Marilyn Monroe - or even Rolling Stones? Nelly won't cut it, and I'm pretty sure Avril Lavigne and Kate Moss will be forgotten, oh... by the time I finish writing this.

Gone are a generation's news icons, Peter Jennings and Tom Brokaw. Is Brian Jennings a suitable replacement? Yeah, kind of like replacing coffee with Sanka.

Jay Leno couldn't be a mole on Johnny Carson's ass... and who will ever replace Letterman? Jimmy Kimmel?

Sinatra. Wayne. Nicholson. These stars have no equals. Oh I like Nicholas Cage, Reese Witherspoon and Mel Gibson, they're some of my favs. They're just not Humphrey Bogart or Bea Arthur. (screw you)

Most new movies I never see... there are too many being released. And soon the actors will be replaced with graphic representations of actors. Even the days of the stuntman are gone, most stunts are simply computer generated.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that with blogs, webcasts and such we're all getting our shot at stardom. With iPods, 200 TV channels, streaming audio/video and more, entertainment is easy to find and tends to be really diverse. At the end of the day, it's probably a good thing.

But the nostalgic side of me is sad. The age of the true celebrity is gone.

7 comments:

Spinning Girl said...

So true.

Katharine Hepburn!

Thanks for the thoughts.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Yeah, what hacks me is that more and more people are using their real names. Marion Morrison, where have you gone?

Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

I'm fine with death of the concept of big celebrity. As long as we have David Caruso and Carrot Top running around (I have trouble discerning which is which) we're probably safer with the 15 minutes concept.

Bobby said...

if someone came along that was worthy of true celebrity, I would petition for it to come back. For now, I agree with bottle rocket, most of the ones I see I am GLAD they will be gone shortly.

The old stars had the advantage of mystery. Newer stars have the tabloids and internet OVER exposing them so people get tired of them more quickly.

Anonymous said...

Lotta truth there, Dave.

I'm going through an old movie phase where I rent all these old classics. And I've got to tell you: they're better. Plain ole better than what I'm seeing today.

Weary Hag said...

Very good point, Dave.

And I don't even want to imagine late night TV without Letterman.

Lee Ann said...

Who were those first two people you mentioned? haha
and You are right about Jay Leno, he has become pretty popular, but can't hold a candle to Johnny.