Friday, September 30, 2005

Brain Bouillabaisse


This guy might become somewhat of a folk hero.

"With his wife and two of his children sobbing in the front row, Ervell Hoover, 78, left court in shackles Thursday as the only person so far sent to prison in what officials say was a plot to kill the abusive husband of one of his daughters. He must serve at least 8 1/2 years."
I can't say what I would do if my daughter were married to an abusive husband. My first guess is, I'd beat hell out of the guy and move her out.

But as a protective father, all I can say is... I understand. The sad thing is, he will likely die in prison.

(I will print and send this article to Courtney's boyfriend this week)

____________________


Supermodel Tyra Banks is PROOF that supermodels, as a general rule, shouldn't have talk shows.

I saw about 10 minutes of it this morning. Wow.

____________________


This weekend, I'm headed to Louisville, KY for the annual Morris/Broche rendezvous. The reason for the trip is something called the St. James Court Art Show. It's an outdoor event in an old neighborhood in Louisville, with literally hundreds of artists, sculptors, photographers... strutting their stuff. I tend to eat too much, but I walk it all off. It's not like I'm a great judge of art, but I know what I like. I'll take pictures.

____________________


Anyone see the season premiere of Boston Legal? I've heard the criticism of David Kelly, the shows producer, that his plots and themes tend to get silly. Last year, I carefully watched for anything that indicated such, and found nothing glaring... although the uniqueness of the show is charming and it quickly became one of my favorites.

It didn't take long this season... the first episode was disappointing. The two main characters, Crane and Shore, were fantastic as usual... but two of the three cases were nothing close to believable, and much of the dialogue was silly. A mute concert cellist who testified by playing her cello, while her attorney "translated?" BAH! Come on.

Overall, the premiere was disappointing... but there were bright spots that made the show interesting and a welcome return.

It's also good to have House back, another great return from last year. Combine that with Curb Your Enthusiasm, Sopranos, Weeds, Six Feet Under, Desperate Housewives, Scrubs, Penn and Teller's Bullshit, Family Guy and The Daily Show... and I can see giving my big screen and Tivo a workout this fall/winter.


***

8 comments:

Kerouaced said...

The art show sounds cool. I wish there was something going on like that around here. Looking forward to the pics...

Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

I look forward to your commentary and photography on this art show.

I really should look for events like that in Chicago. I'd enjoy them, and no doubt they're plentiful.

Chris Cope said...

I agree that Tyra Banks should not have a TV show...

...unless the show is called "Tyra Banks Gets Naked And Sits On Chris' Face."

Anonymous said...

My heart broke when I read the stltoday article this morning about the conviction/sentence. I wanted to somehow reach out personally to that family.

Boston Legal?! One of my faves. I loved the premiere - and the silliness is what makes it great. I work in the legal field and I like to watch Hollywood make fun of it. Also a huge fan of Scrubs and Family Guy - love American Dad (after FG) - check it out if you haven't. Did you watch "My name is Earl"? One of the best new fall shows.

Weary Hag said...

Completely dying over here at Chris's comment - sorry - that was just plain funny.

I didn't watch Tyra Banks' show because I had no forks handy to stick in my eyes had my prediction (that it would totally blow) came true.

I do, however, love Scrubs and The Daily Show - and The Office, which I think is just brilliant.

The art show sounds wonderful and I hope you'll have a grand time!

Spinning Girl said...

Ooh, I loves me an art show.
I do like the oyster pic. No matter waht you do, you are the biggest charmer EVER!

Anonymous said...

I love me some Family Guy.

V said...

As we say in Texas, some people need killin'. Maybe Mr. Hoover was able to discern just who one of them was. Sad for him, though.