Friday, July 11, 2008

iHype

After a night out with the boys, I find myself with an interesting decision to make. It's 2:00 AM, and in just a (relatively) few hours the new 3G iPhone will go on sale.

Last year it was an easy proposition. The iPhone 2G became available at 6:00 PM, and I simply waited until about 5:55 PM and drove to the AT&T store. I was the 29th person in line, and easily waltzed in to snag one of thirty they had.

This year it's a different situation. A little while ago (after listening to Dr. Zhivegas play at Brewskee's) I rolled past the AT&T store and there were about 15 people in line already. The first people arrived at 8:00 PM last night, and considering it's O'Fallon, MO... that's pretty good. Based on last year's figures, I figured if I arrive a couple of hours before they go on sale, I should easily get one.

Dr. Mike wants one as well, but I can't represent him in line - he has to be present to transfer his service from Verizon. We had hatched a plan to jump in line early and blog about our experience, but he has to work at 8:30 am, so he had to bow out. I'm not one to go it alone, so I figure I'll get a couple of hours of rest and then wander by to see what's shaking.

The people I saw in line were an interesting mix of PS3 and Dungeons and Dragons. I'm not sure if I want the phone badly enough to attempt to fit in...

2 comments:

Dr. Mike said...

Dave,

Sorry you're in line right now.. I stopped by Lake St. Louis and snagged an iPhone without waiting. I tried to call, but your battery must've died.

Good luck!

- Dr. Mike

Violet said...

Oh, honey, you know that you won't be the only middle-aged techno geek in line!!