Friday, July 18, 2008

It came to me in a dream...

The new Apple iPhone is quite the incredible piece of equipment. At least that's what I hear.

It's too bad I haven't actually gotten to touch mine yet. For a week, it's been in a warehouse somewhere, longing to be held. Lonely. Wasting away.

Needless to say, I'm less than impressed with the rollout of the 3G units. AT&T stores were ill-equipped to handle activations, and horribly understocked. The store I visited had 20 units to sell on day one, leaving my only option to either go to an Apple store or order mine to be delivered. Stupidly, I went with option two.

On any given day since, I could have gone to the Galleria Apple store at the moment they opened and gotten a new phone. In fact, last night I decided that today I would cancel my AT&T order and do just that.

That is, until The Dream.

Last night I dreamed that I got up and hit refresh on AT&T's order tracker and it indicated my phone had been shipped. (for the past week it has indicated "backordered" and given no estimated time of shipping) Several times in my dream I refreshed the site, to make sure it wasn't just a dream. Then I woke up. Bummer, I had hoped to have the new phone before the weekend so Emily and I could get both of them them set up the way we wanted.

So I got up and went into the kitchen, clicked the refresh button on my notebook PC just for shits and giggles, and went in to get Grayson out of bed. When I returned, the screen indicated "shipped," gave me a tracking number and said it would arrive today before 3 pm.

I'm not proud of the elation I felt. It means I'm a geek in the truest sense of the word. Nobody should swoon over a telephone... it's just not right. But I did receive a little lift knowing that today, I would release the phone from the bondage of its cramped box and allow it to climb into my pocket where it is safe and warm. I'm only hoping it doesn't smell the old iPhone and feel threatened or jealous.

It's about freakin' time, AT&T. Sorry, but you get poor marks for this transaction. I'm only hoping the rest of my experience with the 3G iPhone is better. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy it.

I'm having a blast with my Blackberry Pearl. I can't imagine a new iPhone!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on smashing your printer. I've done that 4 times in my life.