Wednesday, July 16, 2008

HP = Heave Printer

Ever thrown a printer across the room and heard it slam to the ground, crushing the internal parts into useless plastic shards? I had never known that experience until yesterday.*

After clicking "OK" for the 40th time because the black cartridge was empty, and reprinting a check to the federal government (which was due in 30 minutes) a handful of times because the printer couldn't understand that the paper WAS, in actuality, inserted correctly... I blew a small gasket.

Pulling the power cord from the wall (and that's all because it was a wireless printer) I picked up the printer, turned toward the door and heaved it into the family room outside of my office.

"CRASH!!!!!" At the same time it felt great and horrible.

I made out the check by hand, got to the bank with 45 seconds left, then went to Office Depot and bought a new printer. (it's such a new model, it's not even on their website yet - they had just gotten it in that day) I'll never go back to HP printers again - I'm a Brother man now.

The new printer is quite large and very heavy - therefore not throwable.



And now the fine print - I'm not proud of losing my temper. I haven't been that mad in a long time, and it was the culmination of several events during the day that stacked up over time. I hate waste. It was an okay printer and was only 8 or 9 months old, but it seemed crazy to allow a piece of equipment to stand in the way of productivity. I figured since it wasn't working I needed to replace it... but I feel pretty stupid for having thrown it.

6 comments:

The Lenk Family said...

I did that to a can opener once, although it was a lot less expensive to replace.

Violet said...

Word of the Day: "Defenestrate" To toss out the window. If Dave's office were on the second floor, he would have defenestrated the printer.

V said...

I've never done that with a printer, only Catcher in the Rye.

C said...

...it's ok, dave...
we've all had our moments of Total Technologically-induced Tantrums- (TTT for short)
the good thing about what you did was 1. no one got hurt, 2. you gotta new printer out of it, and
3. i betcha the computer and any other hardwares will EVER attempt malfunctions ever again as i'm sure you scared the shit outta them.

C said...

P.S. i threw the TV remote control out a 3rd story window once.
just once.
now it cowers every time i walk by, and if i give it THE LQQk,
it actually wets itself.
ya gotta let them things know who be da boss.

Weary Hag said...

I'm just cracking up at your little temper-disclaimer down below.

Tempers are allowed. Or aren't they?