Friday, July 15, 2005

A Real Dumbass

I spent 22 years of my life in radio, (I started when I was 13) and the past 5 years in the voice over business. Radio has been very good to me, it's a fantastic business.

Sometimes, however, you encounter people employed in radio who make you question the future of things.

Enter Thug Radio.

Earlier this week, I ranted a bit about hip-hop/rap music and it's distasteful lyrics and subject matter. A couple of days later, the morning show (pictured left) on 100.3 FM here in St. Louis completely affirmed my thoughts on the format, the listeners and the ignorance.

The show in question did a bit on how to hurt or disarm a cop. They discussed with listeners how to take away their radios so they couldn't call for backup.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as sensitive as anyone to the plight of the brothers against "the man," but come on. This is so far over the line, especially on public airwaves, I am completely embarrassed. This is what the genre considers "entertainment."

The timing of the event was particularly offensive because an officer was killed here just last week, shot by a thug point blank.

The DJs have been suspended as of this morning. In my opinion, that is not enough. It's time to fire the guys who made the decision that this was good morning show subject matter.

And those who were listening and found it funny should do some quick self-examination. The hip-hop/rap genre has gotten out of hand, lost civility... and thereby lost the opportunity to be heard.

4 comments:

Amandarama said...

Wow. And all Mr. Scoop worries about is whether or not he's crafted enough double entendre into his dick jokes that the FCC won't fine him.

I hope the station fires those guys.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

"Well, guys, what fun can we have today? Oh, I know, let's invite the listeners to kill a cop. That would be fun for ALMOST everybody."

Anonymous said...

heya dave

i gotta agree with you round some of the frightenin stuff comin out of the music industry these days. dont think hiphop is the only culprit tho :/ lookin at a crowd full of 9 year old girls idolizin the heck out of a semi-clad britney spears kinda freaks me the heck out personally.

take care huh?

Kerouaced said...

That is definitely not good. He should be fired and banned from the radio. There are ways to rebel against society without advocating violence...