Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Is the term "special" offensive as well?

LINK

I wonder if we're losing the ability to laugh.

During the course of the new movie Tropic Thunder, Ben Stiller's character is repeatedly labeled "retard." The character is not really retarded, mind you.

So now people are protesting the movie. That's fine, protesting is a good thing. How else will you let people know how you feel? But understand that in this country, there exists no "right" to not be offended.

Making fun of ourselves (and each other) is a cornerstone of comedy. I like comedy. It tends to be funny.

The other day as I was giving my son "eskimo kisses," it occurred to me that I might not be able to use that term much longer, for fear of offending Inuits, Aleuts and others. (even though the term Eskimo seems in no way offensive)

Are we becoming so politically correct that we're harming the cause?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, YES!

Blog all you can before they start suing and prosecuting us for un-PC talk.

C said...

hey... remember george carlin's 7 words you can't say on television......?

yeah, erm, well now we have a new set of words you can't say on TV and they include; retard...also known as "tard" (not to be confused with "turd" which IS allowed)(unless said in the vicinity of public pools), dumbfuck (offends the frigid), numbnuts (offends the erectally challenged), shit4brains (offends our politicians), pussyface &
dog-ugly (offends PETA), and yes, dave, sorry to say, but you really offended MOI when you used the word "eskimo" as now i am craving a frikkin eskimo pie or 3 (never could just eat one) ... i'm trying to lose weight here, thank you very much!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Not to worry, Dave. You'll always be special to me...... Ho ho har de har har.

V said...

I accept others' right to offend me as long as I have a right to bitch back. Not to sue, nor to picket, but to return fire. If we stop all offending, everyone shall be silenced...