Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Gustav and Hanna and Ike, oh my...

I spent a big part of the weekend watching coverage of Gustav in real-time, both on the Net and the bird. New Orleans dodged a bullet this time, considering cities aren't meant to exist below sea level BY THE SEA.*

I wonder how much bitching there will be when people get back home and find out they didn't have to leave after all. You can never please all the people all the time. I am very happy for the folks of N.O., good for you guys! Let's hope you are out of the woods for the rest of the season.

Now on the heels of Gustav come Hanna and Ike, both threatening to wreak havoc along the eastern seaboard over the next two weeks. This pattern is definitely a boon for TWC.

Otherwise our weekend was one big BBQ/party/family fest. Not very restful, but definitely worthy of the label "among the best-ever Labor Day weekends."


*I love New Orleans and hope it remains forever as a monument to human ingenuity and sticktoitivness. I just hope they finish the work on those levees... I can't believe three years after Katrina they still aren't completely shored up and strengthened.

1 comment:

Nobody said...

I love NO... it's one of my favorite cities!! But helloooo... it's built under sea level. Eventually, sadly the city will be toast.