Saturday, May 31, 2008

I shit my drawers

But not routinely - usually I have to have an impetus.

Last night it was a strong downpour, which suddenly filled the sump pit in our basement to within 8 or 10 inches of the top. The pump was running, but wasn't actually working. I fooled around with it and finally got it to start working, but stayed up until the rain stopped, to prevent a complete disaster.

Within the past month, four neighbors' basements have flooded because of the recent heavy rains. In all of those events their sump pumps gave out, leaving the water little recourse.

This subdivision is about four years old - so I'm going to assume the average life expectancy of a sump pump is four years. I called our family plumber last night and he is bringing a big, beefy sump pump and installing it today.

Call it a preemptive move.

1 comment:

Blogarita said...

Shit and impetus in the same couple of opening lines? You're writing prowess never ceases to amaze me. ;)