Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Tree up, spirit on

I've actually been in the Christmas spirit this year! Last year, it just wasn't happening for me. My friends know how bad last year sucked... I saw my Mom on Christmas Eve morning and spent the night at my friend Ron's, but Christmas day I pretty much sat at home, drank coffee and watched television. I'm not sure if I made it to the "Old Country Buffet" last year or not!


This year, new story. As you can see, the tree is up. Decorations are adorning the Morris shack, and carols have been heard drifting down the hall occasionally. What a difference a year makes!


My friends give me crap about my tree. I like the "formal" look, with a theme to the decorations, ribbons instead of an angel on top, streamers, matching lights that blink in order, even some scrappy looking glitter-covered greenery.

I guess it doesn't look as homey as some like it, but it's really beautiful. Probably the prettiest tree I've ever seen, even if I do say so myself. A couple of years ago, Dr. Mike pulled out a wad of dollar bills, bit holes in the middle, and poked them onto the branches to give it a more homey look. (actually it just made it look like Uncle Sam's tree) I still have the dollar bills and am careful to put them back on the tree whenever he and Paula are here.

The simpler trees with homemade ornaments, the big colorful bulbs, a star on top and strung popcorn are really appealing too. I love 'em both.

Em and I have come up with a compromise. Upstairs, we'll have a tree like this one. Downstairs, the homemade kind. Which kind do you like most?

I still have a lot of shopping to do, but I'm one of those you see in line at 5:59 pm on Christmas Eve with a basketful of stuff and a 12-roll pack of wrapping paper. Yep, that's me.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos of the tree!

I like the formal tree. It is very beautiful. I like the tree with the sentimental ornaments, too...

But, honestly, more than the decorations, I like having a "real" tree. I love the smell that permeates the house and the imperfections that make it unique... Next year, we're definitely having both!

Anonymous said...

Great tree! I like the formal look. Our big tree is somewhat themed. Sparky's is less so. I want to make sure she has a tree where she can put all kinds of old-fashioned or homemade ornaments if she likes.

mckay said...

i'm with you. i like both the formal and the homey. my tree is homey...lots of little colored lights and ornaments that have been in the family for ages. if you look closely, you'll see lots of baccarat, waterford and tiffany, but they tend to be overshadowed by the cutsey teddy bears on sleds and penguins wearing santa hats.

your tree looks great, as does your dining table. i love dark wood.

Anonymous said...

I feel guilty if I don't use all the sentimental family ornaments, but one day I'd like a tree with just white lights and all of my clear glass ornaments (dewdrops and icicles mainly). I'll probably end up with two trees eventually.

Nichole said...

Very pretty. Not my style though. I like fake tree's with my childhood ornaments and the big bright 60-70'2 style bulbs. Cheesy Angel on top too.

=o)

Diana said...

I like both styles of trees, but we have to have a "traditional" one. Maybe someday we'll have 2 trees and I can do one formal. Anway, the tree is pretty.

Fantastagirl said...

Your tree is beautiful and looks awesome in your home. I love your table.

I have a traditional tree, which I love. I have ornaments from my first christmas to today.

Karen said...

Your tree is beautiful. I would love to have a tree like that if I could have 2 trees in the house.

Since I can only have 1 then I like the homey one better. Our tree is fake with an Angel on top. We have ornaments that are handmade and some that are bought, but each one was either given to us by someone or made by someone.
The lights are small colored chaser lights.

Lee Ann said...

It looks very beautiful! I am in the Christmas spirit this year too. I am even dancing at the castle...let me know if you like my dance!

Anonymous said...

Give me the "homemade" tree every time. Or the real pretty downstairs one. I ain't picky.

Anonymous said...

I've always liked the "sort-of" homey tree. There is, however, a fine line between "homey" and "junk." Cross that line and you might be better off saving for new skirting on the house.

Dave your tree is and has always been beautiful. It was odd how the dollar bills bothered you so much that you HAD to make it a tradition. THAT, my friend.. is how your tree slowly becomes homey.

Not a bad tree Dave, for such a Jewish person! ;)