Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Repost

Because I got nothing today, I'm reposting something I wrote about a year ago. As I was reading a few old things, this struck me as important enough to share again.

----------

Indulge my philosophical babble for a minute, if you will, because lately I have been thinking about "it." And not the it that eBay ads refer to, although I guess it could be. I'm talking about something bigger and deeper. Yet, simpler. I'm writing this as a reminder to myself, but also in hopes that my daughter Courtney will read it.

Did you ever look around and wonder if this... is really "it?" Is what you can see... all there is? Are there truly no invisible strings pulling at just the right moment, moving us in the right direction, helping us make the hard decisions, saving us from ourselves? Are we really responsible, independent... alone?

Frightening as it may seem, yes. This is "it." What you did yesterday, what you will do today and tomorrow, will be your benchmark. Your signature. Your offering to posterity. Those who will remember you will likely do so because you accomplished something along the way that made a difference. We... without the benefit of imagined safeguards, conjured guidelines or invisible framework... are responsible for ourselves. There are no safety belts. There are no do-overs.

This life, right now, this instant... is the only one you'll ever have. What you see around you is all there is.

This... is it.

If you know what's good for you, you'll grab the reins. Live well. Do the deed. Take the leap.

Fearlessly leave your mark.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. Again.

Anonymous said...

All the shit that I'm going through right now is sometimes overbearing. After I read this it somehow made me feel a little better. I'm not sure why, but maybe if I read it a couple more times?? Great post. You da man!

Anonymous said...

You're right. "This is it." No do-overs, no second chances. But that is part of what makes it all worthwhile, you know?