Saturday, December 30, 2006

One more trip around the sun

It's the time of year when we all take a deep breath and appraise our accomplishments of the past year.

Dammit, I promised myself I wouldn't begin this blog entry with the words "It's the time of year..." but it's all I could think of. How ridiculously cliche' of me. Forgive?

I was talking to my friend Dave today, and I told him that this is the year I am going to make some major changes, advances, updates and reorganization. I am going to revise my website, my demos, and I'm going to become more agressive about landing commercial business.

The words sounded strangely familiar... because I said them EXACTLY one year ago. None of those things happened in the past year. I had the best of intentions, I really did.

I would like to say it's because I didn't have time, but that's not exactly right. I would like to say it's because I don't know what I want to do, but that's also inaccurate.

It's because I just didn't DO it.

That's not like me. I'm a self-starter (but I suppose we ALL think we are, don't we?) who built a voice over career one client at a time, through hard work and long hours. I generally know how to start and finish projects. But this year, I lost my drive and self-motivation.

If I didn't get it done last year, it'll probably get done this year... but pressure won't help. My resolution this year is to never make another one. I will do what I must. Beyond that is all optional.

A few "musts:"

Stay alive, nourished and healthy.

Keep my belongings safe and dry.

Be content with what I have provided for myself.

Cultivate and nurture friendships.

Make sure the people I love know it.

The rest is completely optional.

No resolutions, I'll just do what I can. Anything more than "must" is gravy.

Happy New Year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Dave. And Happy New Year.... Allow me to share with you my Don't and Nevers for the New Year:
Don't be afraid to say "I don't know."
Don't be afraid to say "I made a mistake."
Don't be afraid to say "I need help."
Don't be afraid to say "I'm sorry."
Don't be afraid.
Never fail to say "Thank you."
Never compromise your integrity.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, my friend!

Your list of "musts" is great food for thought, filled with variables and degrees of potential success. These are the ideas I'll be working with, too, in my goal of being "better" in 2007.

Lee Ann said...

Happy New Year Dave!
~xo
Lee Ann