Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Patio progress (final)

I figured I would condense all patio posts into one, and keep it updated with progress photos.


Pre ground-breaking. The yard is great, but there's no access from the back door. (notice the deck has no stairs)

Day one, 6/10/08. Bill and crew got a lot of work done this morning, clearing out the vegetation and brick work and building most of the form. The concrete truck is coming tomorrow, when they'll pour, stamp and finish it.

--------

Day two, 6/11/08. The concrete truck arrived, they mixed in the dye for the concrete, (sort of a reddish-tan, to match the deck) and started wheeling it down the hill to fill the form.

Offloading and filling the form - it required 3 cubic yards of concrete.

After smoothing out the pour, they wait for it to start drying... then apply the stamp, which will make it look like stone work instead of concrete. Hey, why buy stone? This is much less expensive and looks nearly as good.

The surface is stamped, and the "grout dye" powder has been added. (so it will look like the stones are grouted with reddish material) This will settle and dry overnight, and tomorrow the forms will be removed and the surface powerwashed. I'm going to add a sealant to the surface to keep it in good condition.
The finished product! We started building the stairs at 10-ish yesterday, and finished about 10:30 last night. I can't stain the wood for about 60 days - it needs time to dry and season.

Thanks, Gary and Bill, for making this happen.

6 comments:

Weary Hag said...

I smell major parties coming to O'Fallon. Big ol' grill usin' ... patio loungin' ... baby cuddling ... gittar music parties. How far off the mark am I?

Paula said...

Can't wait to lounge on your new patio!

Just don't let Mikey help in the stamping....J/K!!!

Blogarita said...

I can tell it's gonna look great!

Weary Hag said...

So far so good, Dave. Last summer around this time, we too were having concrete poured for our patio. Today I sat out there for awhile and realized how lucky I am!

Many happy times ahead for you all.

Anonymous said...

Damn, that looks like a fine project coming together, BDD. Nice touch with the stamped concrete.

Also, nice effin' grill, below. Man, when I grow old I want to be just like you.

V said...

So, so, nice! I predict many years of enjoyment!