Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Email, produce... and kids these days

I just want to grab Blogger and shake the daylights out of it. Another day goes by in which I cannot post anything reliably which involves pictures.

Isn't Blogger owned by Google? Doesn't that make it all the more strange that the problem hasn't been fixed? The idea of transferring all my old material to a new home doesn't appeal to me, I monitored the progress of Steve Mays when he did it. I'm not nearly the steady, reliable blogger he is, so issues like this tend to make me think that I'd rather just not blog, than to get upset about it.
---
If I haven't returned your email, it's because my inbox is getting that uncomfortably full feeling. About 3 times a year, I take a half day and clean it out. Email I should have answered long ago gets lost toward the bottom because I've failed to delete the junk as it comes in, and before you know it, my inbox is fatter than Anna Nichole Smith. Er, Kirstie Alley. Er... hey, what is it with famous people losing so much weight these days? It really limits my analogy opportunities.
---
I love the produce stand.

As a guy, I'm wired to dislike grocery shopping, but yesterday I completely skipped the produce department at the grocery store and stopped at a place called Dee's Produce, about a half-mile from my house. It's a little place with the usual fare, strawberries, melons, tomatoes, etc., but you also get the paper handle-bag and one of those other things... what is it again? Oh yeah, a smile.

You hardly ever save money going to a produce stand, but it makes you feel good. I guess it goes back to simplicity. Although it's an extra stop, there's something nice about squeezing tomatoes while chatting with the proprietor about the weather or baseball. You can't beat human contact, and the grocery store produce department, with the automatic waterers and plastic bags just doesn't do it for me.
---
I overheard this from a kid at Six Flags recently on a particularly brisk ride:

"Wow, this is like virtual reality on steroids!"

Yes, he was serious. I think kids need to get away from their computers a little more.

11 comments:

Bob said...

I can't figure out why Google doesn't fix Blogger. I always thought it was just to piss me off.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

You are so right about that Dave. Last time I tried talking to a plastic bag it could barely answer.

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

I love that picture of you. It looks like you're pointing at yourself like, "look at me, I'm a man at a produce stand".

Dave Morris said...

Hey Pixie, that's not me. I totally ripped that photo off of Google images. I just thought it was a quaint picture of a neat little produce stand.

I'm not that bald or grey. Give me time, though. ;)

Blogarita said...

I think the guy in the picture is Gary. He looks like a Gary, anyway.

Fantastagirl said...

or Harry - he looks like a Harry to me.

ha ha at the kid at six flags...probably the first time all year he was outdoors for more than walking from house to car.

Weary Hag said...

Blogger pisses me off sometimes too, so I give it the old payback and just quit posting altogether for about a week/two weeks/three, etc. As IF that would matter to them.

I love fresh produce stands! We have a few (at their farms) right nearby to us and I'll go out of my way to get my local corn, tomatos and zucchini there all summer. Mmm mmm good.

Kids ... I kinda feel sorry for them nowadays. They're missing out on all the shit we had to use our imagination for when we were their age.

Chicken said...

And buying local is good for your community and the environment.

Unknown said...

You squeezed the tomatoes? Not the melons?!

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

I'm a turd. Every picture I see of you is different. What the hell do I know. I know this, it takes misinterpreting the subject in a photo to get you to comment on your own posts. I did that on purpose. Yeah, that's it...I'm sneaky like that.

Lee Ann said...

I am like you Dave, I love getting fresh veggies from a produce stand. They just seem to taste better too!