Saturday, April 26, 2008

Al Wilson, Paul Davis

Two artists who were influential for me died this week.

Rhythm & Blues artist Al Wilson, with great songs like Show and Tell (1973), Poor Side of Town (1969) and Touch and Go (1974), died of kidney failure at age 68. Show and Tell is as popular today as it was in '73, you hear it on just about every Adult Contemporary station in the world. Soulful guy.

Paul Davis, who sang songs like I Go Crazy (1978), Sweet Life (1978) and '65 Love Affair (1981), died of a heart attack at age 60. He did a song that was a flip side (the throw away side of a single) that I loved, called He Sang Our Love Songs. Masterful writer.

Two more pages closed in the American songbook.

1 comment:

Blogarita said...

I Go Crazy has been one of my favorite songs since it came out. Sad to hear of these guys' passing.