Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Spiritual mathematics*

As I gather my forms and get ready to file taxes, a question crossed my mind. Why are churches still given a free pass from the IRS???

I don't intend to come off as anti-religious, I am absolutely not, but considering the amount of tax I pay every year, it totally chaps my ASS that churches and organizations like Jerry Falwell's are "blessed" by the U.S. government with paying ZERO taxes.

In a recent sermon about managing money, Jerry Falwell gives this advice to congregation members who are financially struggling and deep in debt. (if the link doesn't work, try clicking 'refresh')

Let me tell you something - I'm not a hater. There are VERY few people toward whom I harbor ill will... but I hate that profiteering c**ksucker. To coin a little religious terminology, any shepherd who puts his flock in jeopardy to line his own pockets... is a no-good sonofabitch. (the "no-good sonofabitch" part is not religious terminology)

Lots of people are struggling to get by these days, but I suppose it's more important to buy the preacher another new car than it is to take care of your own family. Of course when your financial situation becomes so dire you're depending on the government to help pay your bills, it becomes particularly stupid that we're giving these assholes tax free status.

Remember, when you're down and out, the first bootstrap to reach for is Jerry's.

That rotten bastard.


*When I first started to write this, I attempted to make it a humor piece. I could find nothing funny about it, so I went with "pissed off."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention Reverend Falwell. I read this today in the Kansas City Star and it reflects my feelings about Sharpton, Jackson, et al in the light of the Imus "non story."

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html

OldHorsetailSnake said...

It's funny you should say that.....

V said...

I think there's a special section of the abyss for "holy" men who rob old ladies and well-meaning folks. Even when I was a kid, I could never understand why TV evangelists were always dressed so nicely and had such expensive sets... shouldn't the money for that flower arrangement go to feed a homeless person? Like the man said, "What you do to the least of these old ladies, you do to me."

Weary Hag said...

Opportunists.

Trust me,this is the catchword of the day.

Be on the lookout for it. Before you know it, it'll somehow affect you too.

Gdamn oppor-fuckin-tunists.

Laurie said...

Amen.

Ginger said...

Ugh. You even included a photo. I think I just threw up a little in my mouth...

Anonymous said...

He chaps my ass too. He is a self-interested person who hasn't done a whole lot to advance anything. I think para-church organizations, especially those who try and influence politics, should be taxes. That'll be the day...

Blake